If there’s one thing that I have been researching and studying for years, it’s how to make makeup last all day! I’m sorry, but most teachers don’t have the time to go to the bathroom during the day, let alone spend time touching up makeup! I know it’s been a while since I’ve done a beauty post. Income just hasn’t allowed it. However, I have FINALLY found the right combination to make my makeup last all day and I thought others might want to know!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on links may result in a commission for More to Mrs. E. Thank you for supporting the retailers that continue to make this blog possible!
I have struggled with skin issues since my teenage years. How embarrassing is it to teach teenagers with perfect skin while you still struggle with acne as an adult?! I looked for full-coverage foundations that could cover up blemishes and wouldn’t rub off over the course of the day. Thankfully, my skin has had fewer issues since moving to Rhode Island. (I’m not sure why that is but I’m glad of it!) However, I still use a full-coverage foundation because I have a lot of texture issues and scarring.
There are a few full-coverage foundations that are considered to be the best by most beauty bloggers and youtubers (my favorite beauty youtubers are Jaclyn Hill and Makeup Geek…though I could actually do a whole post on beauty youtubers if you’re interested). These foundations are the Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation and the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Foundation. I used the Double Wear foundation for YEARS because so many bloggers swore by it to make your makeup last all day but I switched when the All Nighter Foundation came out. So many people were raving about it that I had to give it a try!
My assessment of the Urban Decay All Nighter Foundation:
- SUPER full-coverage
- Very smoothing appearance – I got lots of compliments
- A little goes a LONG way – One bottle lasted four months, longer than my Double Wear. I apply it with this foundation brush to ensure full coverage.
- The foundation oxidizes (ie: it darkens as it’s exposed to the air) so finding your correct color is a little difficult. (see youtuber Kathleen Lights talk about that here)
- For me, it rubbed off on key areas (on my nose and chin) even when set with a powder. (Embarrassing!)
- I felt like this foundation sat too much on top of my skin rather than appearing to blend into it. This is probably because I applied it with a brush and not a beauty blender. The beauty blender soaked up too much of the product.
When I finished my bottle of the Urban Decay All Nighter Foundation I decided to shop around for a new full-coverage foundation rather than going back to the Estee Lauder foundation. I was hesitant to return because I remembered that when I started using the Urban Decay foundation I was so impressed by how much MORE coverage it gave than the Estee Lauder.
When I visited Ulta, however, they couldn’t give me a better recommendation for a full-coverage foundation and I am now so glad! I went back to the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and it has renewed my love! Though it’s not as thick in one application, when applied with a beauty sponge it can be layered and it blends so beautifully into the skin that it feels more natural. (For more on using a beauty sponge, see this post!)
How I make my makeup last all day:
1. Clean your face! I wash my face with CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser to remove any bacteria and dirt from the skin so that my pores don’t get as easily clogged during the day.
2. Moisturize and Prime your face – this gives your skin something to soak up the foundation so it lasts all day!
- When I first started getting into makeup I learned that it’s best to moisturize about 30 minutes BEFORE you apply your makeup. I usually wash my face and put this moisturizer on, then get dressed/make lunch/etc, and return to put the primer on and start my makeup application.
- Apply the Emani Perfect 10 Primer Serum. This step is CRUCIAL! I did not love this primer when I used it with the Urban Decay Foundation, but paired with the Estee Lauder foundation, it’s a miracle worker! It just makes the foundation STICK! (You can also get it here – it’s super hard to find right now!)
3. Apply the Estee Lauder foundation (described above) with a beauty blender (Original Beauty Blender / Real Techniques / NYX ) to everything except the eye area. (See here for how to use the beauty blender.)
4. Apply concealer (LOVE this one) to the under-eye area, around the nose, and dotted on the chin, up the nose and on the forehead. This brightens the whole area. See image below.
5. Set the places you applied concealer with a powder (another youtube sensation, this powder is amazing).
I then apply the rest of my makeup and it SERIOUSLY lasts ALL DAY… way better than the Urban Decay All Nighter Foundation. I think the real key to making this makeup last all day is to use the Estee Lauder foundation WITH the Emani primer.
Please keep in mind, everyone’s skin is different and this process may not work for you! But we’re all here to help each other out and if I find something that finally works for me after years of searching, by golly, I’m going to share it!
Now, I hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know in the comments what your key is to makeup that lasts all day!
Thanks so much for visiting!